STRENGTHENING CAREER DEVELOPMENT PRACTICE IN THE WORKPLACE Seattle, WA
Trainer:Yvonne Freitas McGookin
Presented By:Non Profit Staff Development Coalition (NPSDC)
CEUs/Clock Hours:Workshop certificate documents hours of instruction toward Continuing Education Units. Clock-hour forms are available free upon completion of the workshop.
Download Flyer (pdf)
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Seattle, WA, 98144
map | directions
- Get onto Interstate-90
- Take the Rainier Avenue South exit
- At the end of the ramp, turn right onto Rainier Avenue South
- Turn left onto South Massachusetts Street
- Turn right onto 24th Avenue South
- The building is several blocks down, just past South Hill Street
NPSDC Member Organization:
$100 per participant (for 1 - 5 staff from member organization)
$90 per participant (for 6 or more staff from member organization)
$149 per participant
This interactive, informative workshop will have two sessions: The morning session will engage in an interactive discussion and explore current trends in career development and what it means today to both individuals and organizations. The afternoon session will explore practical ways managers can act as career development partners actively supporting their employees’ careers.
(This workshop has been developed for supervisory /management staff, career development practitioners/career counselors, HR professionals).
Morning session: Current Trends in Career Development
Trainer: Dr. Cal Crow
An interactive discussion of how career development began, and has changed over time, will be followed by a look at what it means today for both individuals and organizations. The major part of the workshop will focus on how managers and decision makers can design career development strategies to improve creativity and effectiveness in their organizations.
- Increase participants’ understanding of career development and how it can affect their organizations’ growth and productivity.
- Help participants acquire strategies for enhancing career development in their organizations.
Afternoon session: Manager as Career Development Partner - Supporting Your Employees' Career Goals
Trainer: Yvonne Freitas McGookin
In today’s workplace, managers play a vital role in actively supporting their employees’ career development. A manager’s support not only impacts their employees’ level of engagement and contribution, but it also helps them to develop the confidence and skills needed to succeed during organizational transitions. We will explore practical ways that managers can act as career development partners by helping employees take control of their careers by becoming lifelong learners, adapting to change, and creating goals and opportunities for the future. Participants are encouraged to bring specific workplace examples to explore during group activities.
- Use proven strategies and tools to help staff clarify and set meaningful career goals
- Identify and practice techniques for engaging in regular conversations about employees’ goals and interests
- Determine opportunities and strategies for aligning staff career development with your team development process, and performance evaluation and succession planning systems
- Recognize the benefits of encouraging and supporting employees’ career development goals (i.e. impact on retention, organizational transition, and job satisfaction)